A client contemplating divorce may wish to understand his/her financial situation and options prior to going forward with a divorce. A Financial Neutral is an expert in the unique financial circumstances that surround a divorce. The Financial Neutral focuses on understanding and estimating the long-term effects of decisions factoring in considerations like inflation, cost-of-living adjustments, changes in custody agreements, employment, retirement and other issues.
Financial mistakes made during a divorce are difficult to change. Divorce is a traumatic and emotional time and it can be hard for to see how financial issues will play out over time.
A Financial Neutral can help manage a client’s expectations of their financial future by presenting different scenarios and talking through the client’s budget and expenses and life-style choices. Financial Neutrals will not give advice. They are skilled at analyzing and providing expertise on the financial issues of divorce necessary for the client to make an informed, intelligent decision regarding the direction they want their life to take. This knowledge may assist the client in making sound financial decisions that they can live with for years to come. The analysis, requiring the same data collection as in a divorce, may include:
- Understanding the short-term and long-term effects of dividing property,
- Understanding tax issues,
- Analyzing pension and retirement plans,
- Calculating the present value of a pension,
- Determining the cost basis and capital gains on the sale of the marital home,
- Determining if the client can afford the marital home, and if not, what he or she can afford.
- Evaluating the insurance needs of the client and determining if the client qualifies for COBRA.
- Determining earning capabilities, and
- Establishing assumptions for projecting inflation and rates of return.
Other specialists may be enlisted as necessary, including, but not limited to, a mental health therapist and an attorney.
- Kratosa Divorce Advisors's Services -
Please contact Kratosa Divorce Advisors at 973.692.8814 or email us at info@KratosaDivorce.com.